With the hustle and bustle of our lives, sometimes the natural vitamins and minerals that we get from our daily meals are not enough. This is why many are encouraged to take health supplements to take advantage of the benefits that they can get from them. Most of these health supplements are safe and very effective.
Health supplements are products that are specifically designed to improve an individual’s daily intake of the nutrients, as well as vitamins and minerals. Though there are many supplements that we can choose from. Some are botanical, oils, probiotics, and so much more. But what are the benefits that we can get from these products?
Health Supplement BENEFITS That You Should Know Of
With a balanced diet, you can get the nutrients that your body needs from the food and fruits that you eat. But with your active lifestyle and the stress that you experience with your hectic schedule, you burn out and the nutrients in your body will not be enough to compensate for what you need. As a result, you get tired easily. When you are taking supplements, these would be able to provide additional nutrients to avoid developing insufficiency.
According to scientific research, health supplements can provide us with benefits that can be helpful in treating some health conditions too. One perfect example is when women take a good dose of niacin. It can help raise the good cholesterol as well as folic acid which is beneficial in reducing birth defects which are also known as spina bifida. Aside from that, here are good examples of why health supplements are good for you.
- Protein Supplements. We know that protein is a macronutrient and you need to consume this every day to make sure that you have ample support for growth, tissue maintenance, and also immune health. When you cannot eat enough protein-rich foods, there are alternatives like the powders, shakes, and bars that can provide you with an amount of protein that you will need for the day.
- Vitamin and Mineral Supplements. Our body needs all the vitamins and minerals that it can get but the amount that each of us needs vary depending on the age and health status. Health supplements would be able to help you achieve optimum health when your dietary intake is low, may be due to a calorie-restricted diet or maybe just because you are not fond of eating foods with a specific nutrient.
- Calorie Supplements. Supplements that are high in calorie are very important especially when you are dealing with health conditions like cancer. This kind of disease can result in different nutritional deficiencies because of the changes in how your body metabolizes food, and also because of appetite loss. Other health problems like AIDS and anorexia can also cause body wasting which is why supplements that can provide protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats are highly recommended for these cases to help combat weight loss while recovering from these health problems.
Possible Risks of Taking Health Supplements
Like other products, health supplements can also cause possible health risks when not taken appropriately. This usually happens when we try to self-medicate and without the proper guidance of a healthcare professional which is why it is very important and it is highly recommended to visit a doctor first before you take any products even like health supplements. Many health supplements have active ingredients that can possibly cause strong effects in our body.
These supplements can cause side effects when you take them instead of the prescribed medications, or when you take too much of the product. There are supplements that can increase the chance of bleeding especially when the supplement is taken after the surgery because this can affect the body’s response to anesthesia. Dietary supplements can also interact with prescription drugs which can be the reason why it causes problems. Here are the possible risks that you can get from taking health supplements:
- Vitamin K. This can possibly reduce the ability of blood thinner Coumadin to prevent blood from clotting.
- John’s Wort. This can speed up the breakdown of drugs like antidepressants and birth control pills and strongly reduce the effectiveness of these products.
- Antioxidants (Vitamins C and E). Although these are some of the most important vitamins that our body needs, too much of these products can also reduce the effectiveness of cancer chemotherapy.
Have A Chat With Your Healthcare Provider First
When it comes to our health, experimentation and self-medicating can have a huge negative impact that we would not want to experience. This is the reason why taking with a healthcare provider; can be a doctor, nurse, pharmacists, or dietitians) can provide you a better advice instead of trying to treat yourself on your own. Remember that when you are not feeling right, this is how your body warns you that something is not right.
Let your healthcare provider know of the dietary supplements that you are taking or you plan to add on your daily supplements so he or she can determine the supplements that can give you great value. Always take note of the products that you are taking, just like when you are taking your medications. This includes the product name, dosage, frequency of use, and the reason why you are taking it. When you have a scheduled appointment with your doctor, try bringing these supplements so you can have a professional opinion about them.
Health Supplements – Are They Good For You?
YES! We cannot avoid that we sometimes face problems with our health, but we can definitely do something to prevent it from happening. We need to take good care of our body by taking Colombian Gold Regular Seeds. We should not let the stress and the pressure in our lives rule over us. However, you must also remember that too much of everything is bad. Keep in mind that these ingredients that you can find in your supplements are also added to some of the foods like the breakfast cereals and beverages. Talk to your doctor about this to determine your options before you decide to take these health supplements.